When the summer heat is unbearable, it becomes necessary to find a way to stay cool and comfortable. To add a touch of sophistication to your summer look and to keep you shielded from the hot sun, parasols are an ideal accessory. This blog post will discuss the advantages of using a parasol, the various types available and give advice on choosing the right one.
What is a parasol?
A parasol is a type of umbrella that features a canopy for protection from the sun’s rays. It serves as a shelter against the excessive ultraviolet (UV) rays produced by the sun, decreasing the likelihood of skin cancer and premature aging. Besides, parasols aid in keeping one cool by providing shade and avoiding direct exposure to the sun’s heat.
Benefits of using a parasol in the summer
The use of a parasol during the summer months has multiple advantages. To begin with, it safeguards your skin from the sun’s excessive UV rays, which can have a lasting impact on your skin health. Parasols provide shade which helps to prevent sunburn and can keep the area beneath them cool. This assists in maintaining body temperature, providing comfort in high temperatures.
Apart from shielding from too much sunlight, parasols can add a modern and decorative touch to your outdoor area. You can find a broad variety of colours, shapes, and types to go with your outdoor furniture and your backyard area.
Types of parasols
Different parasols are available to suit many different preferences and outdoor settings. Three common varieties are:
- Cantilever parasols: These parasols are designed with a side pole and a hanging canopy, allowing for varied angles to effectively block the UV sun rays. Cantilever canopies are optimal for outdoor spaces with ample seating, such as patios or gardens.
- Centre pole parasols: These parasols, as the name implies, are supported by a pole in the centre. They are suitable for both residential and commercial uses, making them versatile. Centre pole sunshades are routinely put in al fresco dining areas, furnishing shade for chairs and cultivating a cosy atmosphere.
- Wall-mounted parasols: These parasols are securely fastened to walls or pillars, allowing for minimal space to be used while still providing shade. Wall-mounted umbrellas are perfect for balconies or cramped outdoor areas.
How to choose a parasol?
When selecting a parasol, consider the following factors:
The parasol’s size should be determined by the area in which it is intended to be used. An example of this is a wide canopy cantilever parasol, which would be ideal for a large outdoor patio. This is due to the fact that a cantilever parasol can extend to cover more space, supplying shade to more individuals and items of furniture. However, a parasol mounted to the wall might be more fitting for a limited balcony. This is due to the fact that a wall-mounted parasol is more compact and can be quickly and effortlessly mounted with the supplied fixtures.
Here are some other factors to consider when choosing the size of your parasol:
- The height of the ceiling or other objects above the space where you will be using the parasol.
- The amount of wind in your area.
- The number of people who will be using the parasol at once.
- The amount of sun protection you need.
- Cantilever parasols:
- Round cantilever parasols are a classic choice that can provide shade for a small group of people. They are often used on patios and balconies.
- Squared cantilevered umbrellas are an optimal solution for larger outdoor areas, such as patios and gardens. They can provide shade for a larger group of people and can also be used to create a private space.
- Centre-pole parasols:
- Round center-pole parasols are a popular choice for beach umbrellas. They are lightweight and easy to transport.
- Square center-pole umbrellas are a good option for people who want a parasol that can provide shade for a larger group of people. They are regularly used on patios and balconies. For commercial use, multiple square canopies can be placed together to create a larger shaded area outdoors.
- Rectangular center-pole umbrellas are a good option for people who want a parasol that can provide shade for a long, narrow space, such as a walkway or a poolside table.
When choosing a parasol, it is important to consider the size of your outdoor area, the number of people who will be using it, and the aesthetic of your space.
Parasols are available in a variety of materials, each with its own unique advantages.
- Wooden parasols have a classic and picturesque charm, making them ideal for creating a warm and inviting outdoor atmosphere. They are known for their durability and natural beauty, and are often made from sturdy hardwoods like teak or eucalyptus.
- Aluminium umbrellas, on the other hand, are lightweight and highly resistant to rust and corrosion. They are a popular choice for their sleek and modern aesthetic, making them ideal for contemporary outdoor spaces.
- Stainless steel umbrellas combine durability and elegance, providing a sleek and sophisticated look. Known for their strength and resistance to rust, stainless steel umbrellas are a reliable choice that can withstand a variety of weather conditions.
The classic elegance of wood, the sleekness of aluminum, or the durability of stainless steel, each providing its own unique charm and usefulness in the construction of parasols.
Parasols offer a stylish and effective way to stay cool and protected during the summer months. By shielding you from the sun’s harmful rays, they help prevent sunburns and reduce the risk of skin damage. With a wide range of types, sizes, colours, and styles available, you can find a parasol that suits your needs and complements your fashion sense. Remember to care for your parasol properly to ensure its longevity and continue enjoying its benefits year after year. Stay cool and stylish this summer with one of the best parasols!